Developmental Services Required Information
Developmental Support Specialists at RIHS will determine if you are eligible to receive intellectual and developmental disabilities services in Pennsylvania. This DS Support Specialist will be your initial contact when registering for services, guiding you through the entire intake and eligibility process.
There are several ways you may register for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) services. These include:
- Call the RIHS Office at and ask for a IDD Intake. Someone will take brief demographic information and a DS Support Specialist will call you back.
- Register online at www.compass.state.pa.us COMPASS is an online application for Pennsylvanians to apply for many health and human service programs. DS Support Specialist will make contact with you once they receive the notification of your application.
Be prepared to provide the following information regarding the individual for who services are being requested:
- Full name, current address and telephone number
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Medical Assistance (MA) card
- Medical Information
- Educational Information
- Copy of Photo ID, if applicable
- Copy of Custody Agreement documents, if applicable
- Copies of eligibility documents for diagnostic and assessment review
Documentation must include recent evaluations or assessments such as comprehensive evaluation reports, formal assessments, adaptive functioning evaluations, psychological evaluations from psychologist/psychiatrist that include IQ testing. Documents must indicate a diagnosis of intellectual disability or autism spectrum disorder prior to the age of 22. We can assist you with IQ testing and diagnostic reviews, if necessary.
Don’t worry if these records are not conveniently available to you. We can obtain them after you sign the necessary release of information forms.
If you are not receiving Medical Assistance and are eligible, we will provide you with information on how to enroll and can assist with the on-line application, if desired.
The Developmental Support Specialist will review the information you supplied and if needed will work with you to get additional information so a determination of eligibility can be made.
If Determined Eligible
- If the individual is determined to be eligible, you will receive a written notification
- A meeting will be scheduled to obtain additional information
- You will be given the choice of any willing and qualified provider of supports coordination service (SCO)
- Once an SCO is chosen, they will assign you a supports coordinator who will contact you and help you develop an individual support plan (ISP), as well as locate, coordinate, and monitor community services and supports
If Determined Not Eligible
- If it is determined not eligible for services, you will receive a written notification
- Your Developmental Support Specialist will try to help you connect with other resources that may help
- You have the right to request a review if you do not agree with the determination of not eligible
- To request a review, please contact the Westmoreland County Behavior Health/Developmental Services Office at 724-830-3617 and ask for the Developmental Services Coordinator
Appeals from a denial of eligibility follow the county administrative process designed for appeals under the Local Agency Law (2 Pa. C.S. §§551-555) and appealing through the courts. The Local Agency Law is a state law governing procedures for appeals of local agency determinations. (ODP Bulletin #4210-02-05 “Clarifying Eligibility for Intellectual Disability Services and Supports”).